Recipe by Karri Perry, Cincinnati, Ohio
First place, Quick Breads (Muffins), 2018
Baking temperature: 375º F
Baking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 - 16 muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 8 softened butter
- 1 egg, beaten slightly
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup pineapple juice
- 1 tsp. lemon zest
- 2 cups fresh cleaned blueberries
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar - optional
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- Combine sugar and butter, cream for 2 minutes. Add egg and mix well.
- Mix butter milk, vanilla and pineapple juice. Add the flour and butter milk mixture to the creamed sugar, butter and egg mixture in two parts - beginning and ending with the flour.
- Gently fold into the blueberries and the zest.
- Pour the batter into a greased muffin liners, filling each half way. Sprinkle with granulated sugar if desired.
- Bake on the middle rack of a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack.