Each year, the Ohio State Fair recruits college students for paid public
relations internships, during which you can also receive college credit.
Interns will be challenged to excel and will receive an invaluable amount of
professional experience and generate a wealth of portfolio material ... all
while having fun!
Ohio State Fair interns have the unique opportunity to:
- Preview the real world of public relations in an exciting setting.
- Be treated as a professional communicator and assigned important
projects such as writing news releases, contribute to social media
content, creating brand journalism content, collaborating on the Fair’s
media kit, organizing events and writing newsletters.
- Pitch stories, set up interviews and coordinate live broadcasts when
working directly with media, one-on-one, during the Fair.
- Serve as the key contact to radio and television stations regarding
their promotions and remote broadcasts at the Fair.
- Complete important assignments in media relations, promotions,
desktop publishing and project management.
- Enhance your formal education with great on-the-job training.
- Be a current college junior, senior or recent graduate studying public
relations, communications or journalism.
- Have experience writing news releases, organizing events, pitching
stories and designing and writing newsletters; desktop publishing or
basic design experience (such as Adobe InDesign and Canva) is a
- Be detail-oriented, respectful of deadlines and conscientious.
- Be self-motivated with the drive to follow through. Work will be
completed as a team as well as individually in a fast-paced, fun
When You'll Work
- Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. in May, June and
July. You will be required to work shifts on Saturdays, July 15 and July
- Dates of employment: Monday, May 8 - Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2022,
(tentative based on school schedules). The entire internship cannot
exceed 14 weeks. There is no work on state holidays: May 29, June 19, and July 4. Extended hours during the Fair: During the 12 days of
the Fair, July 26 - August 6, 2023, extended hours will be required (at
least a 14-hour shift daily). Interns cannot take time off during the Fair.
Apply by Friday, Dec. 30 at noon
- Complete the application through the portal below. Be sure to complete each question and upload a resume, as well as, three writing samples (such as press
releases, newsletters, blog posts, magazine articles, etc.).
- The deadline for receipt is Friday, Dec. 30, 2022 at noon. Interviews will be held
Contact Jessica West at email@example.com or call 614.644.4012