Recipe by Karen Haldeman, Cincinnati, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Quick Breads (Vegetable Bread), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 50 - 60 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 3 cups King Arthur all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tabasco hot sauce
- 1, 6.5 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped and well drained
- ½ sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- Grease a standard sized loaf pan.
- Mix sugar, shortening and egg thoroughly.
- Stir in milk.
- Sift dry ingredients together and gradually add to liquid mixture.
- Fold in Tabasco sauce, artichokes onions and spinach.
- Turn batter into prepared pan and bake.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.