Recipe by Randi Cutshall, Coshocton, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Baked Pies (Berry), 2018
Baking temperature: 375º F
Baking time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1, 9" pie
- 3 cups fresh blackberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
- ½ cup fresh blueberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar plus ¼ for garnish
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 cup Hodgson Mills white all-purpose flour
- 2 cups Gold Medal white all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. vinegar
- 5 tbsp. water
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ cups Crisco
- Mix 1 cup sugar and cornstarch in Medium saucepan until well blended.
- Add blackberries, raspberries, and blueberries into saucepan.
- Bring to boil.
- Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken and then remove from heat.
- Dump into unbaked pie shell.
- Cover with one unbaked pie shell.
- Pinch sides of crust together to seal.
- Crimp the edge of crust with forefinger and thumb of one hand and the thumb of the other hand.
- Cut design/slits into the top of the crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining ¼ tsp. sugar for garnish.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool, enjoy.
- Mix flour and sugar together until well blended.
- Add Crisco and mix with hands until crumbly looking.
- Beat egg in separate bowl for 30 seconds.
- Add water and vinegar to beaten egg and stir together.
- Dump egg, water and vinegar mixture over flour mixture.
- Mix with hands until texture is smooth looking.
- Separate dough into 2 equal balls.
- Use rolling pin to roll into a 9” diameter.