Recipe by Ashlea DeChant, Hilliard, Ohio
First place, Quick Breads (Coffee Cake), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 35 minutes
Yield: 1, 13" x 9" pan
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup butter milk
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ salt
- ¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together both sugars, cinnamon, salt, flour and graham cracker crumbs.
- Add cooled melted butter and stir with a fork until coarse crumbs; set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 13” x 9” baking pan; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and pumpkin spice.
- In another bowl , whisk together pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla, oil and buttermilk.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredient and whisk together until smooth.
- Whisk for about a minute.
- Pour the batter into a prepared pan.
- Tap the pan against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping all over the surface of the cake batter, spread it evenly.
- Bake the cake for 32-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into a few places near the center comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature and slice.