Recipe by Anna Smith, Columbus, Ohio
First place, Baked Pies (Cherry), 2018
Baking temperature: 375º F
Baking time: 45 minutes
Yield: 1, 9" pie
- 4 cups sour cherries, pitted
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 3 tbsp. tapioca
- ¼ tsp. almond extract
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup almond milk
- Combine cherries, sugar, tapioca, almond extract and cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Make pie crust.
- Fill unbaked pie shell with cherry mixture.
- Dot with butter.
- Cover with top crust.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour until middle is bubbly and crust is light brown.
- Split into 2 round balls.
- Flatten 1 ball slightly on wax paper.
- Top with another sheet of wax paper.
- Roll out crust between the wax paper into desired shape.
- Remove top piece of wax paper.
- Flip crust into pie crust, fit into pie plate.
- Remove 2nd sheet of wax paper.
- Repeat same steps for 2nd round ball to create top crust after adding filling.
- Combine flour and salt in small bowl and stir.
- Measure canola oil and milk in same measuring cup, but do not stir.
- Pour oil and milk into flour, all at once.
- Stir mixture with a fork until it forms a ball and cleans the side of the bowl.