Recipe by Karri Perry, Cincinnati, Ohio
First place, Sauces (All Other), 2017
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 cinnamon rolls
- 2 ½ cups bread flour
- 2 ¼ rapid rise yeast
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 2 ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup buttermilk- warmed to 110 degrees
- ½ tsp. salt
- 5 tbsp. softened unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. softened butter
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. soft butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp. vanilla
- Combine buttermilk, yeast and sugar and set aside at least 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt - set aside.
- Mixing slowly, add flour mixture one cup at a time to the buttermilk yeast mixture in a stand mixer. Mix until dough comes together.
- Add the softened butter to the dough. Mix until combined.
- Remove dough and let rest 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Place the dough on a work surface and roll into a rectangle 12” x 15”.
- Spread with softened butter and sprinkle the dough with cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Roll the dough, from the long end, creating a tube shape.
- Cut the dough log into even slices and place in a greased cake pan.
- Let rise; cover for 30-40 minutes.
- Bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack.
- If desired frost with a vanilla frosting.