Recipe by Cathering L. Blackwood, Columbus, Ohio
First place, Cakes (Pound), 2018
Baking temperature: 325º F
Baking time: 75 minutes
Yield: 1, 10" Bundt Pan
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 sticks (8oz) butter, at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Grease a 10” Bundt pan with butter, oil or cooking spray: flour generously, shake out any excess.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (use paddle attachment), or using a handheld mixer, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl occasionally to incorporate all the sugar into the butter.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating well after each egg is added to thoroughly combine.
- In medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat ¼ of the flour mixture into egg mixture: beat in 1/3 cups of the cream.
- Continue adding flour mixture and cream mixture in this fashion, alternation them and ending with the flour mixture.
- Mix just until incorporated and scrape sides of the bowl down occasionally.
- Using a rubber spatula, stir in vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared pan; place in cold oven, set the oven temperature at 325 degrees.
- Bake without opening the oven door, until toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry, 1 hour and 15 minutes; bake for an extra 15 minutes, invert it onto a cake plate.
- For a real treat, serve yourself a slice while it’s still warm.