Recipe by Sarah Cummings, Reynoldsburg, Ohio
First place, Quick Breads (Gingerbread), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 50 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf
- Non-stick spray
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- ½ cup packed minced fresh ginger
- Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together flours, sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- Whisk together molasses, eggs, oil and buttermilk in a medium bowl.
- Dissolve baking soda in a cup of boiling water.
- Fold wet ingredients and baking soda water into dry ingredients until just combined.
- Fold in minced ginger.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake about 50 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool 10 minutes in the pan and then remove from pan to finish cooling on a baking rack.