Recipe by Nancy Radke, Gahanna, Ohio
First place, EGGstra (Egg-stra Savory), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 55 - 60 minutes
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 loaf white bread
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 8 eggs
- 3 ½ cups half & half
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese-divided
- 2 ½ Greek seasoning blend (ex: Penzey’s)
- ½ cup thinly sliced olives
- ¼ cup Finely diced sun dried tomatoes
- 12 oz. gyro meat-cuber
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- ¼ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp. buttermilk
- ½ Greek seasoning
- ½ tsp. dill
- ¼ cup thinly sliced cucumber
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Trim crust from bread; tear into 1" pieces.
- Place on rimmed baking sheet drizzle with oil.
- Bake for 15-29 minutes or until bread is toasted and golden; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix eggs well; then whisk in half & half, ¼ cup parmesan cheese and seasoning. Add olives, tomatoes and gyro meat.
- Toss in bread cubes; stir to combine.
- Spoon into a 13” x 9” greased casserole dish; top with remaining parmesan cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 45 minutes; remove foil and continue baking about 10 minutes or until middle is set and top is golden brown.
- While casserole is baking, prepare dressing; mix ingredients together in medium bowl.
- Cover and chill.
- Right before serving, top casserole with lettuce, onion and drizzle dressing.
- Finish with layer of feta.
Gyro meat is available at Trader Joe’s and other specialty markets.