Recipe by Leanne Fuhrmann, Wheelersburg, Ohio
First place, Cookies (Molasses Cookies), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 9 - 10 minutes
Yield: 18 cookies
- ¾ cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ cup light molasses
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. ground cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- Cream together shortening and brown sugar.
- Stir in egg and molasses and mix well.
- Fold in dry ingredients and stir.
- Cover and chill until firm (1-2 hours).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into uniform balls and roll in white sugar.
- Place on lightly greased cookie sheets and gently flatten with bottom of a glass.
- Bake 9-10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Leave on cookie sheet one minute until set.
- Remove cookies onto wire rack to cool completely.