Recipe by Vicki Chisholm, Copley, Ohio
First place, Family Heirloom, 2018
Baking temperature: n/a
Baking time: n/a
Yield: 10 meatballs
- 1 Slice white bread, torn into little pieces
- 3 tbsp. water
- ½ lb. 80/20 ground meat
- ¼ Italian sausage out of casing
- 1 egg
- 1 fresh parsley
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp. chopped bacon (added by my mom in the 1050s)
- ¼ chopped onion (added by my mom in the 1050s)
- 1 tbsp. bacon grease (added by my mom in the 1050s)
- 1 tbsp. chopped bacon (added by my mom in the 1050s)
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 cups beef stock
- ½ cup milk
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- 4 tbsp. cold water
- 3 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 ½ tsp. black pepper
- Mash the bread and water into paste.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Form into 10 meatballs that are a bit flattened.
- Coat each meatball with flour.
- Cook meatballs in a large skillet (my mom and grandma used cast iron - I don’t own one) until done, about 10 minutes.
- Remove meatballs from skillet and drain fat from the pan but leave pan crumb.
- Make a slurry by combining the corn starch with cold water.
- Cook the bacon grease and chopped bacon until hot.
- Add butter and cook until browned.
- Whisk in the beef stock.
- Whisk in the milk.
- Whisk in the slurry and cook until mixture is thickened.
- Whisk in the mustard and pepper and cook until combine.
- Add meatballs back into the gravy.