Recipe by Claire-Ellen Rankin, Cardington, Ohio
First place, Sauces (Other), 2018
Baking temperature: 10 lb. pressure
Baking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 10 pints
- ½ bushel ripe tomatoes
- 6 medium onions
- 6 green peppers
- 6-8 stalks of celery
- ½ lb. carrots
- Vegetable oil enough to sauté without sticking to pan
- 1 tbsp. salt
- ½ tsp. white pepper
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 small cans tomato paste
- 2 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 tbsp. dried basil flakes
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Wash tomatoes, quarter each one, and cook until tender.
- Put thru Squeezo strainer or food mill, squeezing out as much pulp as possible.
- Return juice and pulp to stovetop and simmer over low heat while preparing other ingredients.
- In separate cooking vessel, cook onions, peppers, celery and carrots in a small amount of vegetable oil until soft.
- Press thru a food mill same as tomatoes.
- Add vegetable puree to tomato juice.
- Add remaining ingredients. Simmer for ½ hour.
- Taste sauce and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle sauce into sterilized jars.
- Wipe rims adjust lids, tighten bands, and process at 10 lb. pressure for 30 minutes.
- Cool and check seals.
- Store in a cool, dry place for up to one year.