Be a Vet for a Day!
This half-day veterinary exploration experience for high school students grades 9-12 seeks to provide participants with an in-person, close contact experience with animals on display at the Ohio State Fair. The program has 80 available spots for students. The group of 80 will be broken up into four groups of twenty students each. Each group will follow a unique agenda that will take around the fairgrounds where they will make stops to learn about a variety of animals on the State Fairgrounds. Registration required in advance. Space extremely limited. All participants will receive free admission, a complimentary t-shirt and swag bag. Parking at the Ohio State Fair is free. More detailed information will be sent following registration regarding logistics for the day.
Dates: Wednesday, July 27 and Thursday, Aug. 4
Location: Ohio Expo Center & State Fair, 717 E 17th Ave, Columbus, OH 43211
Schedule of activities
Wednesday, July 27
- 9:00 a.m. Welcome – Voinovich Livestock & Trade Center
- 9:10 a.m. Divide into groups for sessions
- 9:15 a.m. Session 1
- 9:55 a.m. Session 2
- 10:35 a.m. Session 3
- 11:15 a.m. Session 4
- 11:55 a.m. Closing – Voinovich Livestock & Trade Center
- 12:00 p.m. Enjoy lunch on your own with provided food voucher for Taste of Ohio Café
During the event, OSU College of Food, Agricultural, and Environmental Sciences and OSU College of Veterinary Medicine admissions will be available to talk with parents and participants.
- Session 1 – Dr. Eric Gordon, Large Animal Veterinarian
- Session 2 – Dr. Gustavo Schuenemann, OSU Extension Veterinarian
- Location: OVMA Veterinary Education Center
- Activities: Ear tagging and calving simulator
- Session 3 – Dr. Kristy Shaw, ODA
- Activities: Donning and doffing PPE and outbreak investigation sample collection (from stuffed pigs) and testing
- Session 4 – Mallory Carnes
- Activities: Model horse heads for GI tubes and catheters, horse legs for wrapping, suchers
Thursday, Aug. 4
- 9:00 a.m. Welcome – Kasich Hall
- 9:30 a.m. Session 1
- 10:30 a.m. Session 2
- 10:55 a.m. Session 3
- 11:30 a.m. Session 4
- 12:05 p.m. Closing & College Fair – Kasich Hall
- 12:30 p.m. Enjoy lunch on your own with provided food voucher for Taste of Ohio Café
Session information forthcoming!