What is the Special Events Department?
The Special Events Department includes many different areas of the Ohio
State Fair. Those areas include Creative Arts, Fine Arts, Youth Arts, Ohio State
Fair Junior Fair Board, All-Ohio State Fair Band, All-Ohio State Fair Youth
Choir, Customer Service/Guest Information Services, First Aid Center/EMS,
Lausche Youth Exploration Space, and coordination of booking events in other
certain buildings. This department plans and executes a variety of special
events and exhibits related to these areas working with seasonal staff and
- Gain experience and insight in the Fair industry as you work alongside the
Special Events team helping plan and execute events related to all facets of
the department, which include: Youth programming and activities, Creative
Arts, Fine Arts, Youth Arts, Ohio State Fair Junior Fair Board, All-Ohio State
Fair Band, All-Ohio State Fair Youth Choir, Customer Service/Guest Information
Services, and more.
- Provide administrative support to related areas above.
- Assist with various special events during the Fair, including nightly concerts in
Celeste Center. In 2023, concerts included Yung Gravy, KIDZ BOP,
Casting Crowns, Ludacris, Jeff Dunham, and more.
- Get hands-on, real-life experience in the Fair industry, including coordinating
schedules, assisting with exhibit set-up and activities, managing, and training
seasonal staff and volunteers, and more.
- School internship credit available (based on specific university requirements).
- College student entering their sophomore, junior, or senior year.
- Many majors are appropriate, including hospitality management, public affairs,
government, business, or other related majors.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
- Strong organizational skills, high attention to detail and accuracy, strong
written and verbal communication, ability to multi-task and be adaptable.
- Proficient with Google applications, Microsoft Office applications, and
When You’ll Work
- Dates: May – August (based on school schedules).
- Internship cannot exceed 14 weeks.
- Monday – Friday during business hours (flexibility with hours).
- Note: you will be required to work on Saturday, July 13 and July 20,
2024, as well as long shifts immediately prior to and during the Ohio
State Fair (July 24 – Aug. 4, 2024).
- Hybrid work schedule: remote (May – July) and in-person (July – August). In
May, June, and early July, more remote time will be available. As we approach
the Ohio State Fair, the frequency of required in-person dates will increase. No
time off or hybrid opportunities are available July 22 through August 5, as in-person work is required at that time.
Application Information and Deadline
- Deadline: Friday, January 12 at 11:59 p.m.
- Interviews will take place within two weeks of the application deadline.
Please contact Alissa Belna-Muhlenkamp at firstname.lastname@example.org