Recipe by Mary Juhasz, Strongsville, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Honey and Bee items (Bread), 2019
Baking temperature: 400º F
Baking time: 25 - 30 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
- 1-2 tbsp. chopped Rosemary
- ¼ cup oil
- 1 ½ tbsp. dry yeast
- 2 ½ cups warm water
- ¾ cup honey
- 7-8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. honey mixed with 1 tbsp. milk for glaze
- Spray release two 9” x 4” loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl combine oil, yeast, honey and water to dissolve. Let sit five minutes.
- In another bowl, combine 7 cups of flour, rosemary and salt.
- Mix flour mixture into wet ingredients, mixing to incorporate. Add more flour as needed to make a stiff but soft dough.
- Pour onto floured surface, knead 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Put dough in large greased bowl, turn to coat, cover with damp towel and let rise until doubled, about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Lightly knead dough for 30 seconds. Divide in half, shape and place into prepared pans.
- Let rise in a warm place until dough is just beneath the top of the pans.
- Brush tops with honey/milk mixture.
- Bake at 400° F for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool 5-10 minutes in pan, then remove and cool completely on wire racks.