Recipe by Karri Perry, West Chester, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Pies (Berry), 2019
Baking temperature: 375º F
Baking time: 60 minutes
Yield: 1 pie
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ cup butter, cut into small pieces
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 6-8 tbsp. ice cold water and vodka 50/50 mixture (mix 4 tbsp. each of vodka and cold water, using 6-8 tbsp. of the mixture as needed)
- 5 cups cleaned and rinsed blackberries
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- ¼ cup arrowroot
Garnish: brush with milk, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar before baking.
- In a stand mixer, add flour, salt and sugar. Add butter (cut into small pieces), mix for 30 seconds on low or until the butter is loosely combined with the flour. Add the shortening, cut into small pieces. Mix on low until dough begins to look crumbly, about 30-45 seconds more. Add the water vodka mixture one tablespoon at a time until the dough forms and holds together when pressed. Wrap dough well and let rest, chilled for at least 1 hour before rolling.
- To roll the dough, take half of the dough and place on a floured surface. Roll to ⅛-1/4 inch thickness. Place in a plate, trim excess. Roll the second half of the dough as the first, using the dough as a solid piece to top pie, or cut decorative shapes if desired.
- Place blackberries in a medium bowl, add sugar, arrowroot, cinnamon and zest. Gently mix.
- Place the blackberry mixture in the prepared pie shell.
- Top the pie with dough, vent, and lightly brush with milk and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar or sanding sugar.
- Bake in a 375 degree oven for 60 min. or until pie is bubbling from the center.