Recipe by Margaret Santelmann, Seville, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Pickles and Relishes (Pickles), 2019
Baking temperature: Water bath
Baking time: 20 minutes
Yield: 8 pints
- 4 pounds of cucumbers
- 2 yellow onions
- 2 bell peppers (1 orange and 1 red)
- 6 cups apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- ¼ cup pickling/canning salt
- 2 tbsp. mustard seed
- 2 tsp. turmeric
- Ball Pickle Crisp (⅛ tsp in each pint jar)
- Clean and prepare the cucumbers, peppers and onions. Cucumbers should be sliced ¼” thick, onions and peppers sliced to ⅛” thick.
- Add vegetables and pickling salt in large pot, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 4 hours which draws water out of cucumbers.
- Remove vegetables, drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Water bath method – clean and sterilize pint jars in boiling water.
- Combine vinegar, water, sugar, mustard seeds and turmeric in a large pot. Bring to boil and simmer until mixture is needed.
- Add ⅛ tsp of pickle crisp to each jar.
- Tightly pack vegetables in hot, sterilized jars. Fill jars with hot vinegar mixture. Remove air bubbles.
- Process using the water bath method for 30 minutes.