Recipe by Karen Haldeman, Cincinnati, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Ohio Wines (Dessert), 2019
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 35 minutes
Yield: One 8” square cake
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 1 cup Bokes Creek Winery’s Frasca Frenzie
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbsp. golden syrup (light treacle)
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 8 tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- ½ cup molasses
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp. Bokes Creek Winery’s Frasca Frenzie
- Preheat oven to 350° F and grease and flour and 8” x 8” cake pan.
- Place dates and wine in saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow to cool somewhat before placing in a food processor and pulsing until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, whisk melted butter, brown sugar and eggs. Whisk in date mixture, molasses and golden syrup until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Whisk half the flour mixture into the liquid ingredients, and whisk until fully incorporated. Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until smooth and there are no lumps in the batter.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until it tests done.
- In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter, molasses and golden syrup. Over medium heat, cook, stirring constantly, until everything is fully incorporated.
- Whisk in the whipping cream and 2 tbsp. of the Boke’s Creek Winery’s Frasca Frenzie.
- While cake is still warm, remove from pan and cut into nine squares and pour lots of sauce over top.
- Serve with whipped cream and walnuts.