Recipe by Elizabeth Howell, Batavia, Ohio
First place, Yeast Breads (Rolls-Sweet), 2018
Baking temperature: 375º F
Baking time: 14 - 17 minutes
Yield: 8 rolls
- 1 package active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- ½ cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- 3 ½ to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 apples (diced)
- 1 tbsp. butter
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp. apple cider
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- ¼ cup milk
- Dash of salt
- 1 ½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- Dissolve one package active dry yeast in ½ cup lukewarm water (let sit for about 5 minutes).
- In a saucepan, heat ½ cup milk on medium heat until film develops on top.
- Let cool until lukewarm.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, salt, butter, eggs, milk and yeast. Stir until blended.
- Add 2 cups of flour and stir until blended. Continue to add flour until dough becomes manageable with hands and smooth.
- Knead dough for about 4 minutes.
- Grease mixing bowl and return ball of dough to mixing bowl turning to make sure all sides are lightly oiled.
- While waiting for dough to rise, prepare filling.
- Sauté 2 apples, chopped and diced in 1 tbsp. butter in skillet on medium heat until crisp and tender. Remove from heat.
- Put 1 ½ cups powdered sugar into small mixing bowl and add 2 tbsp. apple cider and 3 tbsp. melted butter stirring until mix becomes a somewhat thin paste. Set aside.
- In separate bowl combine 1 tsp. cinnamon and ½ cup granulated sugar. Set aside.
- After dough has doubled in size, punch it down and remove from bowl onto lightly floured counter. Rolling with a rolling pin into a rectangle shape.
- With back of spoon spread apple cider paste on all of the rectangle all the way to the edges, sprinkle with sautéed apples and then top with cinnamon sugar mix.
- Roll up dough jelly roll style and cut into 2 “ pieces and place on parchment lined baking pans cut side up.
- Raise for another 1 hour.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, milk and salt.
- Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Increase heat to medium. DO NOT STIR. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center and syrup turns amber in color.
- Transfer to a small bowl and cool to room temperature.
- Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until frosting achieves spreading consistency.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place rolls in oven and bake 14 to 17 minutes until rolls are golden brown.
- Let cool and frost with caramel frosting and top with coarsely chopped pecans.