Recipe by Janet Gill, Canton, Ohio
First place, Candies (Chocolate), 2018
Baking temperature: n/a
Baking time: n/a
Yield: 2 dozen
- 1 ¼ cups white chocolate chips
- 4 unsalted butter, diced
- 3 tbsp. Heavy Cream
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup caramel bits
- 2 heavy cream
- 2 chocolate covered coffee beans, finely crushed
- 1 cup dark chocolate melting wafers for coating
- tsp. instant espresso powder
- 1 ½ tsp. heavy cream
- Place white chips, butter, 3 tbsp. heavy cream and salt in a microwave safe bowl.
- Heat in 20-30 second intervals, stirring each time, until melted and smooth.
- Refrigerate until fully chilled (pour into shallow bowl for quicker chilling).
- Meanwhile, microwave caramel bits and 2 tsp. heavy cream in 20 second intervals, stirring until melted and smooth.
- Refrigerate until cooled.
- Place crushed coffee beans on a plate.
- When caramel is firm enough, use a ½ tsp. measuring spoon to scoop out and roll into balls.
- Roll each ball of caramel into the coffee beans to coat.
- Place back into refrigerator to keep cold.
- Reserve remaining coffee beans for sprinkling on finished candies.
- Have a small bowl of powdered sugar beside you when ready to continue.
- When white chocolate is cold remove it from refrigerator. The white chocolate is sticky so dust hands with powdered sugar when needed throughout the rolling process.
- Scoop out 1” size (2t), of chocolate and roll into a rough ball. Place these on a plate and back in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- After they have chilled, remove the white candies and the caramel balls. Roll a white chocolate ball between your hands then flatten into a circle.
- Place a caramel ball in the center, wrap candy around to cover it.
- Drop candy into bowl of powdered sugar and lightly roll it.
- Melt dark chocolate wafers and espresso powder in microwave safe bowl, stirring frequently just until all are melted and smooth.
- Remove chilled candies from refrigerator. Dip a candy into the chocolate, turn to coat completely then remove, and letting excess chocolate drip off.
- Place on wax paper and immediately sprinkle with a pinch of reserved crushed coffee beans.
- Continue until all are covered. Chill until coating has hardened.
- Melting remaining 2 tbsp. caramel nibs and 1 ½ tsp. cream in microwave, stirring every 15- 20 seconds, until smooth.
- Let cool then slightly drizzle over truffles.
- Store in refrigerator. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.