Recipe by Karri Perry, Cincinnati, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Yeast Breads (Favorite Bread - Savory), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 30 - 40 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 rapid rise yeast
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 ½ salt
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup buttermilk - room temperature
- 1 cup warm water - not to exceed 110 degrees
- 2 tbsp. unsalted softened butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp. butter
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar and set aside for at least 10 minutes.
- Combine flour, salt dry mustard and set aside.
- Combine eggs, buttermilk, oil and butter in a large mixer.
- Add the yeast mixture to the buttermilk/egg mixture.
- Mixing slowly, add the flour mixture one cup at a time.
- Mix until the dough comes together.
- Remove dough and let rest 60 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Place ½ of the dough on a work surface and roll into a rectangle 12” x 15”.
- Sprinkle the dough with the shredded cheese.
- Roll the bread (cinnamon roll style) creating a cheese filled tube of dough.
- Cut dough log into 1“ pieces in random shapes.
- Fill a greased loaf pan with one layer of prepared dough, sprinkle cubes of cheese between the layers.
- Top with more dough.
- Create a second loaf.
- Sprinkle dough with melted butter and garlic salt.
- Let rise, covered for 30-40 minutes in pan and then turn out onto a cooling rack.