Recipe by Jennifer Noble, Granville, Ohio
First place, Sauces (All Other), 2017
Baking temperature: 400º F
Baking time: 40 - 45 minutes
Yield: 2 loaves
- 1 envelope dry yeast
- ¼ cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 2 tsp. salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup shortening
- 5 cups King Arthur bread flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ tsp. orange flavoring
- 1 tbsp. milk
- Dissolve on teaspoon sugar thoroughly in ¼ cup lukewarm water.
- Add contents of one package of yeast and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Scald milk add salt, ¼ cup sugar and shortening and cool to lukewarm.
- Thoroughly stir yeast solution and add to the milk solution.
- Add two cups flour and beat well.
- Add beaten eggs and beat well.
- Add remaining flour, enough to make a soft dough.
- Turn out on lightly floured board and knead until smooth and satiny.
- Shape into a smooth ball and place in greased bowl.
- Cover with cloth and let rise in warm place (80-85 degrees) until doubled, in bulk.
- Knead down and divide into two equal parts.
- Shape into smooth balls. Cover with cloth and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Roll and stretch each portion into a sheet about ¾” in thickness.
- Brush each sheet generously with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with combined mixture of one cup sugar mixed well with 4 tsp. cinnamon.
- Roll as for a jelly roll.
- Place in greased pan and let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Bake in moderately hot oven (400-425 degrees) 40-45 minutes.
- After baking, while bread is still warm, ice with Confectioners’ Sugar Icing and allow to cool.