Recipe by Betty-Jo Morrison-Mizer, Gambier, Ohio
First place, Candies (Nut Clusters), 2018
Baking temperature: n/a
Baking time: n/a
Yield: 24 pieces
- ½ lb. chocolate coating
- 100 pecan halves
- 1 ½ cups fondant sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ lb. caramel loaf
- 1/8 tsp. pecan flavoring
- Water to moisten
- In mixer bowl mix sugar, butter, flavoring and water to moisten.
- Chill mixture until it can be made into balls.
- Melt chocolate in chocolate melting pan.
- On parchment covered baking sheet put hale dollar size circles, lay pecans, 4 to a circle, to form turtles legs.
- Work caramel till easy to flatten into small circles. Lay on pecans.
- Make balls of fondant mix, flatten, lay over caramel.
- Melt more chocolate and put over turtles, leaving legs partially uncovered.