Recipe by Georgia Bishop, Upper Arlington, Ohio
First place, Candies (Divinity), 2018
Baking temperature: n/a
Baking time: n/a
Yield: 4 cups
- 2 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ½ water
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- To toasts nuts, spread on baking sheet and bake at 250 degrees for 10 minutes; stir once.
- In a heavy saucepan combine sugar, corn syrup, water and salt.
- Cook to hardball stage (260) degrees stirring only until sugar dissolves.
- Meanwhile, as sugar mixture reaches 240 degrees, beat egg whites with wire attachment until stiff peaks form.
- When sugar mixture is ready, gradually add syrup to egg whites, beating at a high speed with electric mixer.
- Gently fold chopped pecans.
- Quickly drop candies from a teaspoon onto parchment paper; it help to coat teaspoon with some butter.
- Allow to cool and store in cool dry place.