Recipe by Bonnie Elliott, Plain City, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Yeast Bread (Favorite Bread-Savory), 2019
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 25 - 30 minutes
Yield: 1 ½ lb. bundt loaf
- 1 ¼ cups water, 80° F
- 2 tbsp. butter, softened
- 1 ½ tbsp. sugar
- 1 ¼ tsp. kosher or sea salt
- 2 tbsp. dry milk
- 3 ½ tbsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 3 ⅓ cups King Arthur bread flour
- 1 ½ tsp bread machine/fast rise yeast (or 2 tsp active dry yeast)
- Add the ingredients in the order listed above to bread machine and select the “dough” setting.
- Generously spray a 9 cup bundt pan with nonstick spray.
- When dough cycle has finished, remove dough from pan and shape into a long cylinder that fits in the bundt pan (or use two loaf pans). Pinch the ends together and smooth the seam. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about an hour (dough will expand and crest the pan).
- Bake in a preheated 350° F oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the inside has reached 190° F to 200° F when tested with a thermometer.
- Turn the bread out onto a wire rack to cool some before slicing. If the bread doesn’t want to come out of the pan, gently slip a knife between the top of the bread and pan.
- This is our favorite bread to serve warm and buttered with soups, salads, and entrees, and it makes the most incredible grilled cheese sandwiches ever. When made in a bundt pan, it’s perfect for those bundt party sandwiches. It freezes well, but we usually gobble it up before it makes it to the freezer.