Recipe by Wanda Stout, Pickerington, Ohio
First place, Cookies (Other Cookies), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 10 minutes
Yield: 3 dozen
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- ½ ground cloves
- 1 ¼ ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2/3 cup lard
- ½ cup caster sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 small egg
- ¼ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup caster sugar (for covering the dough balls)
- Sift together the flour, soda, cinnamon, cloves ginger and salt.
- In a large bowl: cream lard and both sugars. Add the egg and corn syrup. Beat well.
- Add dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Shape into balls (walnut size) and roll in caster sugar.
- Place balls on a grease cookies sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes. cool on rack.