Recipe by Janelle Harrigill, Columbus, Ohio
First place, Cookies (Cake Box Cookies), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 12 minutes
Yield: 16 cookies
- 1 box white extra moist cake mix
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 1 orange juice or juice from ½ orange
- ½ cup heath toffee chocolate bits
- ½ cup (1 stick) of salted butter (softened)
- ½ domino brown sugar (light or dark)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Milk as needed
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees.
- Prepare ungreased cookie sheets or use parchment paper.
- Mix together cake mix, egg and oil in large bowl.
- Blend in orange zest, orange juice and heath toffee chocolate bits.
- Drop about 1 tbsp. rounded balls of dough onto prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes. Then move the cookies to wire rack to finish cooling and frost.
Brown Sugar Buttercream Frosting
- In mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla and mix until it is combined.
- Add powdered sugar and mix slowly at first until the powdered sugar is combined into the butter and sugar mixture, then mix on medium until creamy.
- Add milk 1 tsp. at a time until you have frosting at desired consistency.
- Top each cookie with frosting and a sprinkle of heath toffee chocolate bits.