Recipe by Nancy Radke, Gahanna, Ohio
First place, Honey and Bee Items (Pie), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 45 - 50 minutes
Yield: 1, 9" pie
- 5 cups zucchini and yellow squash- peeled and sliced
- ¾ cup clover honey
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- Dash of salt
- 2 tbsp. corn starch
- Zest of one lemon
- One 9” prepared pie crust (unbaked)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup clover honey
- ½ tbsp. cinnamon
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 3 tbsp. flour
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice squash ¼” thick; remove seeds. In large saucepan, boil slices for 2-3 minutes. Drain well. Allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, stir squash and honey together. In small bowl, combine spices, salt and corn starch; mix well. Add squash along with zest; stir to combine. Pour into pie crust.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on wire rack.
- In a large skillet, mix all topping ingredients together over low heat until butter is melted and all items are well incorporated. Increase heat to medium; cook and stir for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Then spoon over top of cooled pie.
Source of local honey - Silly Bee Apiaries, Waldo, Ohio