Recipe by Kristyne McDougle, Lorain, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Sauces (All Other), 2019
Baking temperature: n/a
Baking time: n/a
Yield: 4 pints
- Zest of 10 lemons
- 2 cups of bottled lemon juice
- 8 whole eggs
- 14 egg yolks
- 2 tsp salt
- 5 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups melted butter
- Sterilize jars and lids and rings, keep jars warm in the simmering water.
- Zest lemons and set aside. Separate eggs and set aside.
- Heat up a double boiler. In top of double boiler, add sugar, whole eggs, egg yolks, salt and zest. Mix thoroughly with a whisk.
- As you continue whisking, add the lemon juice. Then, add the melted butter. Continue cooking slowly over the simmering water, while whisking continuously.
- Once the mixture begins to thicken and the temperature of the curd has reached 171 degrees, remove from heat.
- Strain the curd through a fine mesh strainer, to remove any egg bits and zest.
- Fill warm jars with warm curd to ¾ inch below jar top (mixture expands when processing).
- Process jars for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let jars sit in water for a few minutes.
- Remove jars from water and set on a kitchen towel on the counter until completely cool for 24 hours.