Recipe by Janet Gill, Canton, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Cookies (Bar Cookie), 2018
Baking temperature: 350º F
Baking time: 15 - 20 minutes
Yield: 5 dozen
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (14 oz.) can of sweetened condensed milk
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup butter cubed
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup corn syrup
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 8 oz. semi-sweet chocolate baking bars, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp. toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and line a 9” x 9” baking pan with foil, extending paper a couple inches over 2 sides to lift bars out.
- Whisk the flour, cornstarch and sugar together in medium bow.
- Add softened butter and mix until evenly combined.
- Press cookie mixture evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake until edges begin to turn light brown, 20-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- While the shortbread is baking combine all caramel ingredients, except for vanilla, in a large saucepan.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over low-medium heat.
- Attach a candy thermometer to the side of pan.
- Continue to stir and cook caramel to 225 degrees, (this can take 10-15 minutes).
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and stir 2-3 minutes then pour over warm shortbread layer.
- Refrigerate until cooled.
- Place chopped chocolate and heavy cream into microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring well each time, until melted and smooth.
- If chocolate is very hot, allow to cook a bit, then spread it evenly over cooled caramel layer.
- Sprinkle toffee bits over chocolate.
- Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Lift bars out of pan, peel off foil and cut into bars.