Recipe by Beth Krauss, Hilliard, Ohio
First place, Cookies and Pastries (Peanut Butter Cookie), 2015
Baking temperature: 350 degrees
Baking time: 14 minutes
Yield: 36 cookies
- ¾ cup smooth peanut butter
- ½ cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus an additional 1/3 cup for rolling
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup jam (raspberry is a favorite)
- 1 cup peanut butter chips
- 1 tsp. shortening
- Cream together peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add in baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, stir in flour, blending well and completely.
- Roll dough into balls, each about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Roll balls in remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet (or lightly greased if you have no parchment). Using your thumb, put an indentation in the center of each cookie.
- Bake for about 14 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool completely before removing from the pan, because the cookies are fragile while warm.
- Fill depressions in cooled cookies with jam.
- Melt together peanut butter chips and shortening (easy in microwave). Using a pastry bag or a sandwich bag with a corner snipped, zig-zag the melted peanut butter chip mixture over the cookies. Let harden. Store in an airtight container.