Recipe by Tara McAlea, Gahanna, Ohio
First place, Pepperoni Pizza (Perfection), 2019
Baking temperature: 450º F
Baking time: 5 minutes; 7 - 9 minutes
Yield: 4 pizzas
- 1 cup room temperature water
- ½ cup beer (pilsner or lager), room temperature
- 2 tbsp. honey
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 ¼ cups plus 2 tbsp. bread flour, plus extra for shaping
- ⅓ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for oiling the bowl
- 8 tsp. Penzy’s frozen pizza sauce
- 2 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- One 28 oz. can whole tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- One 8 oz. block of mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- One ½ lb. margarita pepperoni stick (sliced into thin pepperoni)
- 1 cup pizza sauce (recipe at right)
- In a small bowl, combine beer, honey and water; stir to combine.
- Add yeast to bowl and allow to foam for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the bread and whole wheat flour, salt and Penzy’s frozen pizza spice.
- When the yeast is ready, turn the mixer on a low speed, add the olive oil then slowly add the yeast mixture.
- Mix on medium to high speed for 3 to 5 minutes until the dough separates from the sides of the bowl and starts forming a ball shape.
- Turn the dough onto a clean work surface (it should be sticky). Knead it for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Shape the dough into a ball, then place in an oiled bowl, cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
- Punch the dough down, then cover with plastic wrap and let rise in the fridge overnight.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Divide the dough into four equal 8 oz.
- Shape the dough into ball until smooth, pinch the bottom to seal the seam.
- Allow the dough to come to room temperature before shaping and baking, wrap in plastic wrap to prevent the dough from drying out.
- Preheat the oven to 450° F.
- To shape the dough, start in the center of the ball pressing outward. Use a rolling pin to stretch, repeat.
- Place crust on pizza stone and bake in oven for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Place 4 tsp. sauce, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese and about 20 pepperoni on the pizza and bake for 7 to 9 minutes.
- Allow to cool, then enjoy.
- Puree tomatoes using an immersion blender in a medium bowl for about 1 minute.
- Add salt, pepper, basil, sugar and oil and whisk - do not blend - to combine.
- Transfer to medium sauce pan and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Set aside until needed.