Recipe by Brad Berg, Springfield, Ohio
First place, Grilling Competition (Turkey), 2018
Baking temperature: 400º F
Baking time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Turkey thighs, skin-on, boned (alternatively, turkey wings)
- 1/3 cup Ras El Hanuound spice mix
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tbsp. raw honey
Harissa Yogurt Sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon juice
- 1 olive oil
- 1 tsp. Harissa
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 cups sweet corn nibs (off the cob)
- 1 cup cucumber diced
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- ¾ cup feta cheese
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ clove garlic
- 1 ½ extra virgin Olive oil
- 1/8 cup oregano
- 1/8 cup lemon juice
- Pinch salt
- Preheat grill to 450 degrees; oil the grates.
- Pat the turkey dry and place into a gallon zip lock bag with Ras El Hanound spice mix, seal bag and shake to coat evenly.
- Place turkey on the grill (close the lid), turn after 15 minutes, continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees (about another 15 minutes).
- Brush turkey with honey-butter during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
- While the turkey is cooking; combine the honey and butter until smooth.
- Set aside.
- Place all ingredients in a small bowl, mix by hand until thoroughly combines. Set aside.
- Allow turkey to rest a few minutes - and if thighs slice the turkey. Sauce may be drizzled over the top, or served on the side for dipping.
- Heat cast-iron pan to high. Cook corn in dry pan until browned about 3 minutes.
- Transfer to a large bowl with cucumber, chickpeas and walnuts.
- Mix in lemon juice, oregano, olive oil, garlic and feta.
- Serve immediately, or chill until ready to serve.