Recipe by Janet Gill, Canton, Ohio | First place, 3204, Class No. 7, 2016
Baking Temperature: 325 degrees | Baking Time: 50-60 minutes | Yield: 1
- 2 T. turbinado or raw sugar
- 1 ¾ C. flour
- 1- 3.4 oz. box instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 4 medium very ripe bananas
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ C. oil
- 1 C. brown sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 ¼ t. kosher salt, divided
- ½ C. toffee bits
- ¼ C. butterscotch chips
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 2 T. heavy cream
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 10-12 C. Bundt pan well with cooking spray. Sprinkle turbinado sugar evenly to coat pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, pudding mix, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside
- Mash 3 of the bananas in a large bowl. Cut the remaining banana into 1/4” pieces and set aside. Add the eggs, oil, sugar, vanilla and 1 t. salt to the mashed bananas, whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture and mix until combined. Fold in diced bananas and toffee bits.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in cake center comes out clean, 50-60 minutes. Let cake cool for 15 minutes before inverting cake onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, place butterscotch chips, butter, and cream and remaining ¼ t. salt in a small bowl. Microwave on high until chips just start to melt, 35-40 seconds. Whisk until smooth. Cool 5 minutes then drizzle on top of cake. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt.