Recipe by Janet Gill, Canton, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Honey and Bee Items (Cake), 2018
Baking temperature: 325º F
Baking time: 45 - 55 minutes
Yield: 1, 9" pan
- 2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 cups finely grated carrots
- ¾ cup golden raisins, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. orange zest
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. nutmeg
- 3 finely chopped crystallized ginger
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup honey*
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven 325 degrees. Grease a 9” pan. Place pecans in another baking pan.
- When oven is hot, toast pecans until fragrant, about 8-10 minutes to prevent burning.
- Allow to cool.
- Stir carrots, raisins, orange juice, vanilla and zest together in a bowl and set aside.
- In separate bowl whisk flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter, slowly add honey and beat until well blended.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Add carrot mixture and flour mixture alternately, beating on medium-low until incorporated; stir in Pecans.
- Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick in cake center comes out clean or with only a few moist crumbs.
- Cool before frosting with honey/cream cheese icing if desired.
Source of local honey: Jeff and Sheila’s Apiary, Minerva, Ohio