Recipe by Tony Furbee, Sunbury, Ohio
First place, Chili Cook-Off (Your Favorite Chili Recipe), 2019
Baking temperature: n/a
Baking time: n/a
Yield: 7 -8 quarts
- 1 lb. ground brisket
- 1 lb. ground pork shoulder
- 1 lb. Bob Evans hot Italian sausage
- 1 8 oz. package Irish Kerry Gold salted butter, divided into 4 blocks
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 16 oz. Young Guns Hatch green chilies (hot)
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 tbsp. ginger paste
- 28 oz. can Dei Fratelli tomato sauce
- 14 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 14 oz. can tomato paste
- 16 oz. (2 cups) chicken stock
- 1 Uncle Bunk’s Chili in a Bottle (Hot)
- 4 oz. Johnny’s French Dip Beef Au Jus
- 14 oz. can spicy black beans
- 14 oz. can of kidney or pinto beans
- 1 bunch cilantro, cut up
- 1 tbsp. Accent flavor enhancer
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 packets of Sweet’N Low
- 1 tbsp. El Yucateco Green Habanero Hot Sauce
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tsp. rosemary
- 1 tsp. celery seed
Spice blend for meats to go in smoker:
- 2 tbsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1 tbsp. dried onions
- ½ tbsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp. chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp. granulated onion
- 1 tbsp. granulated garlic
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. blackening seasoning powder
- Place ground brisket and ground pork into 2 disposable pie pans separately, season the meats with spice blend and salt.
- Place 4 oz. of green chilies onto each meat and stir in. Top each pan with a square of the Irish butter. Place in smoker and smoke at 225 degrees for 40 minutes.
- In a stock pot, melt one block of Irish butter and add in onions, diced Jalapeno and sauté 3 minutes. Add in Bob Evans hot sausage and begin to brown. Add in minced garlic and 4 oz. of the green chilies. Add cinnamon and mix well.
- Remove brisket and pork from smoker and add to stock pot. Combine all the meats together and finish heating through.
- Add Uncle Bunk’s Chili In a Bottle, tomato sauce, chicken stock, spicy black beans, kidney/pinto beans, tomatoes with green chilies, ginger paste, thyme, rosemary, celery seed and Sweet’N Low.
- Mix well and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add El Yucateco Green Habanero Hot Sauce, honey, remaining 4 oz. green chilies, tomato paste, beef au jus, cilantro, Accent and the last section of the Irish butter.
- Mix well and simmer 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.