Recipe by Jennifer Noble, Granville, Ohio
First place and Best of Show, Jellies (Berry), 2019
Baking temperature: n/a
Baking time: n/a
Yield: 6 cups
- 3 ¾ cups prepared juice (about 4 quarts of fully ripe strawberries)
- ½ tsp butter or margarine
- 1 box SURE-JELL Fruit Pectin
- 4 ½ cups sugar
- Stem and crush strawberries thoroughly, one layer at a time.
- Place 3 layers of damp cheesecloth or a jelly bag in large bowl. Pour prepared fruit into cheesecloth and tie it closed. Hang and let drip into bowl until dripping stops. Press gently.
- Measure exactly 3 ¾ cups prepared juice into 6 or 8 quart saucepot.
- Stir pectin into juice in saucepot.
- Add butter to reduce foaming.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil (a boil that doesn’t stop bubbling when stirred) on high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar.
- Return to full rolling boil for exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim off any foam with metal spoon.
- Ladle immediately into prepared jars. Wipe jar rims and threads. Cover with 2 piece lids. Screw bands tightly.
- Place jars on elevated rack in canner. Lower rack into canner. (Water must cover jars by 1 to 2 inches. Add boiling water, if necessary).
- Cover, bring water to gentle boil. Process 5 minutes.