Recipe by Michael J. Moscato, Columbus, Ohio
First place, Sauces (BBQ), 2018
Baking temperature: Stovetop medium heat
Baking time: 75 minutes
Yield: 3 pints
- 2 ½ cups ketchup
- 1 ½ cups tomato puree
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 fresh lime juice
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped jalapenos
- 1 ½ cups dark brown sugar
- 1 fresh onion powder
- ½ fresh ground white pepper
- ½ tbsp. fresh ground mustard
- Prepare your jars using a water bath method, do not remove from water until sauce is ready.
- Pour the ketchup, tomato puree, apple cider vinegar and lime juice into a medium sauce pan and stir well.
- Bring Mixture to a boil on a medium-high heat while stirring in the jalapenos, dark brown sugar, onion powder, white pepper and ground mustard.
- Once fully mixed and at a boil, reduce heat and simmer for an hour and a half, stirring occasionally.
- Remove jars from water bath and carefully pour sauce into them, making sure no sauce is on top of the jars, if so clean off with moist paper towel, then seal jars finger tight.
- With jars sealed finger tight place back into active water bath for additional 15 minutes to fully exude air from jars.
- Remove and store jars.